The International Council for Science (ICSU) and the International Social Science Council (ISSC), on behalf of the Science and Technology Alliance for Global Sustainability has announced the members of the first science committee for Future Earth, a new 10-year research programme on global sustainability.
The chair of the new committee is former IGBP vice-chair Mark Stafford Smith, Science Director of CSIRO’s Climate Adaptation Flagship in Canberra, Australia. Vice chairs are Melissa Leach, Director of the STEPS (Social, Technological and Environmental Pathways to Sustainability) Centre in the UK and Belinda Reyers, a Chief Scientist at the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) in South Africa.
The new science committee is the first of the governance bodies to be appointed for Future Earth, which will be supported by an interim secretariat until a permanent secretariat is set up in 2014.
The committee will make recommendations on new and existing projects, and emerging priorities for research. It will, in particular, oversee the transition of the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (IGBP), the International Human Dimensions Programme (IHDP) and DIVERSITAS activities into Future Earth.
The committee includes several current or former IGBP scientific committee members including Eduardo Brondizio, Cheik Mbow and Qin Dahe (co-chair IPCC WGI).
The full list of members is available here.
Further members of the Science Committee:
- Mark Stafford Smith, Chair
- Belinda Reyers, Vice Chair
- Melissa Leach, Vice Chair
- Bina Agarwal, Professor of Development Economics and Environment at the University of Manchester, United Kingdom
- Xuemei Bai, Professor of Urban Environment and Human Ecology at the Fenner School of Environment and Society, Australian National University
- Eduardo S. Brondizio, Professor of Anthropology and Adjunct Professor of Environmental Sciences at Indiana University-Bloomington, United States
- Bradley Cardinale, Associate Professor and Director of the Conservation Ecology Program in the School of Natural Resources and Environment at the University of Michigan, United States
- Sandra Díaz, Professor of Community and Ecosystems Ecology at Córdoba National University and Senior Principal Researcher of the National Research Council of Argentina
- Armin Grunwald, Professor of Philosophy and Ethics of Technology at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany
- Heinz Gutscher, Professor Emeritus of Social Psychology at the University of Zurich (UZH), Switzerland
- Corinne Le Quéré, Professor of Climate Change Science and Policy at the University of East Anglia and Director of the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, United Kingdom
- Jane Lubchenco, Valley Professor of Marine Biology at Oregon State University, United States
- Dr Cheikh Mbow, Senior Scientist on climate change and development at the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) in Nairobi, Kenya and Adjunct Associate Professor at the Forestry Department of Michigan State University, United States
- Dr Susanne Moser, Director and Principal Researcher of Susanne Moser Research & Consulting, in Santa Cruz, California, USA
- Karen O’Brien, Professor in the Department of Sociology and Human Geography at the University of Oslo, Norway
- Dr Dahe Qin, academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China and of the Third World Academy of Sciences, Trieste, Italy
- Dr Youba Sokona, Special Advisor on Sustainable Development at South Centre, Geneva, Switzerland
- Prof. Tetsuzo Yasunari, Director General of the Research Institute for Humanity and Nature (RIHN) in Kyoto, Japan